CodeBrooklyn believes there are five pillar to success in expanding computer science in Brooklyn:
- Infrastructure – Do schools have the computer equipment, along with network and electrical infrastructure, needed for computer science instruction
- Professional Development – Funding and access for teachers to attend computer science education training – this is the core purpose of CS4ALL
- Curriculum – Are schools using standards based, peer reviewed, Common Core aligned curriculum?
- Community Engagement and External Support – To what degree is the school building used as a community hub for events like hackathon and adult continuing education in IT and computer science? How is the SLT and PTA supporting and advocating for CS education?
- Champions – Computer science champions – ideally both teacher and parent – at every school